Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Juliet, Czechs and the Saddest Book Ever

I like starting books when I know nothing about them -- it adds a sense of adventure to my literary travels.  Going on recommendations or just curiosity, I stumble into incredible worlds and stories that I might have steered away from had I read the back.  
So it was with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  The title gives away nothing and I walked in blind, joined by a few friends, to the world of Juliet Ashton.  Even though I highly recommend starting books without knowing exactly what to expect, I am going to give you a small snapshot of this book.

World War 2 has just ended and England is searching for footing, hope and stability after a long and arduous war.  Rationing, coupons and devastation still fill the air as author Juliet Ashton provides some relief through her light-hearted stories.  While searching for subject matter that goes deeper, she engages with a group on the small English Channel Island of Guernsey and...well, that's all you need from me.  

You know what I loved about this book?  It was so balanced.  It was funny, sweet, poignant, intruiging, heart breaking, devastating, challenging and witty.  I was captured in minutes.  It took me two days to read this book -- and I have two children under the age of two.  So that meant something (ie, my own sleep) went largely neglected for the sake of the story.  But it was worth it.  When people want to read something 'light but not frivolous' I think this is what they want.  A good story, with great heart, that doesn't burden you with suffering but still goes deeper than surface interactions.  

What would I change?  Just one more chapter.  That's all I wanted.  One more look into what happened.  I would have liked that.  

I love reading about World War 2 (we go way back).  Here are some other books that I would recommend:

Far to Go (Alison Pick).  A story of Czech citizens in World War Two, this story is a present day-past day interaction that culminates in the past and present meeting.  Lovely writing, interesting story and made me want to head back to Prague.  Also, written by a Canadian.


The Book Thief  (Markus Zusak).  See my other posts.  READ!  









 The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by (John Boyne).  This story is told from the perspective of a little german boy in WW2.  Adorable in his naivety, it is also one of the saddest books ever.  At one point my hand flew to my mouth and it stayed there until the end of the book.  However, it is a good read.  Just be warned: saddest book ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment